Friday, October 31, 2008

A little bit of stress

I realized (actually remembered) this week how much more stressful my job is than alot of other peoples job. I don't think I'm superior in any way because of that, I just think it's the honest truth. Everybody has stress at work, but my stress comes from trying to save lives.

I was at work the other day and took a 911 call where a child was choking. I will never get used to that. I have been trained, I have taken calls like this before both on the phone and while working on ambulance, but I never get used to it. When you take a call like this your heart starts to race and you can feel the adrenaline pumping. There is nothing like doing the Heimlich Maneuver over the phone on a child (or anyone for that matter). I can't even describe what it's like waiting to hear the child cry. All I wanted was to hear some type of noise coming from the child. All I could think was "please let this child start breathing again"!

In this call the child was able to dislodge what was caught in the throat and was crying up a storm by time paramedics arrived on scene. The child was checked and was fine! It was such a good feeling and also a reminder of the enormity of my job. When people call 911 they are putting their lives in my hands. It's quite the responsibility and adds just a little bit of stress to my life!

No comments: