Saturday, November 8, 2008

What am I thinking?

Sometimes I wonder why I'm in the law enforcement field and I seriously consider if I really want to be an officer after all. I still want to be an officer but I seriously question my sanity sometimes because of that choice. Why would I willing put myself in a career where everyone hates you? Why would I put myself in career where women have to work twice as hard as men to receive half the credit? Why do I want to work with bad people, drunk people and crazy people all day?

This week at work has been interesting. It's been surprisingly slower than usual which at times is nice. But we have not been bored! As dispatchers we have to watch the jail screens. We have 3 big screen TVs on our wall with motion sensor cameras for the jail, parking lots, etc. When anyone is moving in the jail it pops up on a full screen as well as still being on a quarter screen on a different TV.

I am always so amazed at the similar way most drunk people act. I don't know what it is about alcohol that makes people want to get naked, but it happens, ALOT! Sometimes they get naked and sleep, some will pace, some will get angry and some will dance. Drunk people (and alot of non-drunk people) also feel the need to cover the camera which gets them in trouble. They'll get their blankets, mats, toilet paper and clothes taken away all because they can't sit down and behave themselves. And yet so many times, as soon as those things are given back they cover the camera again.

At times I feel I am too young to see some of the things we see in jail! And even worse is searching the females that come into jail. Not a fun task or something I would want anyone to have to do. I have performed pat downs, strip searches, clothing searches, watched people go to the bathroom, and stood in the jail for the officers so that their prisoners couldn't claim things were said that weren't. It's a task that comes along with my job, and even more with the job I want, but not a pleasant task at all!

We have people in jail who pray, sing, pace, punch walls, work out, sleep and cry. I am always interested in watching the people in jail to see what they act like. I have never been in jail and never plan on it, but I wonder what I would do if I were in that situation. It definitely is interesting (and at times humorous) to watch. It can make slow times go a little quicker.

Being able to be in dispatch and watch the jail has helped me feel better about my career choice. I would much rather be an officer than a jailer. Officers get to arrest people and drop them off and then they're done. Jailers (and in our case since we have our own jail, dispatchers) are babysitters. Ever tried babysitting a drunk person? I wouldn't recommend it, trust me! =D

No comments: