Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Routine

It's been awhile since I've posted. Things at work have been busy but mostly routine. As is expected when it first starts to snow, we've had traffic accidents. We also have had alot of theft calls lately as well. People aren't the smartest, but it's job security for me!


I did take my first "gunshot" call a few weeks ago. A guy had shot himself and his wife called to report it. It was a little stressful. I was mostly getting bugged at the wife because she was hysterical and not really giving me any useful information. But I also can't really imagine how I would react on the phone to someone asking me 100 questions if I just watched my loved one shoot themselves. All is well though...the officers were safe, the lady calmed down enough to help me a little, and the victim got taken care of.


I've worked for Orem for 3 years and that was the first gunshot I had ever taken. It does add a level of stress to the call that I hadn't quite experienced before. I was very concerned about the patient, but I was also very concerned about where the gun was. I didn't know why the victim shot himself. Maybe he was angry at something and obviously he wasn't thinking rationally. I didn't want his wife or my officers to be in danger. I just kept asking "Where is the gun now? Where is the gun now?" and finally got an answer. It was quite the call to say the least.


I'd say hopefully I'll have something exciting to post about soon, but in me wishing that I'm kind of wishing death or danger on someone, so I'm not going to say it. The joy of my job is that you never know when something is going to go wrong. It can change in an instant!

No comments: