Monday, January 19, 2009

DUI's

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it seems like there are so many more DUI's than normal. (DUI=Driving Under the Influence) We have had so many DUI's lately. I have worked for 3 years at the police department and I still get suprised sometimes when at 6:30 in the morning we find someone who is DUI. Whether they started drinking that morning or are still drunk from the night before, it suprises me.

The other night we had a drunk prisoner who was found DUI after wrecking his vehicle. He had the highest BAC I have ever seen in a conscious person. (BAC=Blood Alcohol Content) His BAC was .485. The highest I have ever seen in a conscious person is .410. The legal limit in Utah is .08 so needless to say he was FAR over the legal limit. Also, he's lucky he was alive. People have died from alcohol poisoning with BAC less than our prisoner was.

The fact that our prisoner was conscious, breathing, driving, walking...all amazed me. Now, don't get me wrong, he didn't do any of these things very well. He was driving and got in an accident. He was sitting down and then stood up, turned and crashed face-first on the floor. He went unconscious several times. He spent quite a bit of time getting medical help before coming back to jail and passing out on the floor.

I've noticed alot lately how many drunk people we have dealt with and other agencies have dealt with. It seems like such a huge percentage of our calls have included alcohol. I don't know if it's just becoming more prevalent, or if it's because it's been so cold outside that people are stuck inside and entertain themselves with alcohol, but it's a serious problem.

To end I thought I'd post a link to an article on KSL. I'm not saying that any of these people deserved what happened to them, but I am glad that nothing happened to an innocent, sober person.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5354944

No comments: