Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More things I've learned at work

Every time I go to work I learn something new. And what kind of person would I be if I kept that knowledge to myself? So I'm going to share it with you.

#1 If you are old enough to buy a car and drive a car and use a car...KNOW WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU DRIVE!! If you don't know the make and/or model of your own car, don't get behind the wheel!

#2 Also, I don't care what the "technical" color of your car is. I want red, blue, green, purple, white, tan. Don't tell me burgandy or amethist or champagne. I don't care! Think about the rainbow, add white, tan and black and choose from those colors only!

#3 Do not call 911 and tell me there is a problem and then say "never mind!" If you call me, you are getting an officer. Bottom line.

#4 If your phone just "accidentally" calls 911, please just stay on the line and tell me it was an accident. And if you don't stay on the line and I end up calling you back, don't yell at me for calling you and tell me your phone didn't call. How do you think I got your phone number? I didn't just make it up or pick one out of the phone book, regardless of what you think!

#5 If you lock your keys in your car, or your car gets broken into, or you're a victim of any other type of crime, call the police. YOURSELF! Don't have your boyfriend/girlfriend call and then stand in the background and tell them everything. If you're the one with all of the answers, make the call yourself. It will save us both alot of time!

#6 If you are the victim of a crime, don't wait 3 days and then decide to call at 1100 on a Friday night and then get mad because the officers are busy and take a little while to get to your car. If you would have called on Tuesday afternoon when your car was damaged, there is a good chance that you would have had a lot shorter wait than on a Friday night.

#7 If you make a police report, don't change it 5 times. It doesn't make you look good...it makes you look like a suspect. And don't tell me one story on the phone and then tell the officer a totally different story when he shows up. It doesn't save any time and it's just going to make me mad for you making me look stupid.

#8 If you want sympathy, don't call me at 1100 at night and cry to me because your neighbors are being loud and you can't sleep. I understand it might be frustrating, but you aren't going to get the sympathy you want from me for still being awake...I have alot of hours left at work talking to people just like you.

#9 I am on your side. I'm not out to get you. But you better believe that if you're rude to me on the phone, I'm going to check you for warrants. It's my right as a dispatcher to check every single person we are going to have contact with, and if you're rude to me, you moved yourself to the top of the list! Your fault, not mine!

#10 If you don't speak english, that is your choice. I'm not going to judge you. But don't call me and ask if I speak spanish (or whatever language you speak) and then get mad at me for not speaking a language that isn't primary in our country. AND, don't ask me if I speak spanish and then when I say no, speak to me in the best english I've ever heard. If you speak english, speak it from the beginning!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Hey Kayla, Thanks for your comment on my blog. These posts are SO interesting to me! Feel free to read my blog, I love new readers, but I have become a fan of your too! I hope that is ok!